Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Look at Love

So this post is way over due by a couple of months but I thought I would give a teaser about what I have been learning recently from a study I am doing on love.

Love. You hear the word everywhere. "I love you." "I love frisbee." In church circles you hear people say, "I love God," or "I love Jesus." Or you hear a command such as in Mark 12:30, "And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength." Whichever it is, you do not associate loving someone with loving a burger. The two carry distinct meaning. So how do you tell the difference. Common sense should at least tell you that hamburgers, frisbee, and Jesus are not equal when it comes to love. But what is the difference between say loving Jesus and loving your kids? So the question becomes, "what is love?" And before you think it, no, the answer is not "baby don't hurt me." So how is love defined by the world versus the Bible. Do you really know what love is? Is it even possible for you to fathom what love is? How do you know that a "feeling" is love or just indigestion? And once you know what love is (and what it's not), how do you love others? And what about "me" in all of this? Is there a "me"?

So these are some of the questions I am working on getting an answer on so stay tuned. And in the mean time, if you do tell someone you love them, ask yourself this question. Are they a hamburger?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Trent! If you are going to find out what really love is, you may need to check out books of RUMI, THE MESSENGER OF LOVE:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumi

    Annemarie Schimmel wrote a couple of great books about his thoughts and believes.
    Mohammad ;)

    ReplyDelete