Friday, April 22, 2011

A look at Hosea

Earlier this week I finished reading through the book of Hosea. Reflecting on the book and this Easter season, it is very interesting how well this short Old Testament book fits with the Easter message.

So for those of you not the most familiar with this book, here is a quick summary:

The book takes place around 750 - 700 BC and was written by a guy named Hosea (name means "salvation"). So basically God tells Hosea to take a "wife of harlotry" (woman that would become one) and that will symbolize the relationship of God with the unfaithful people of Israel. The book is 14 chapters long and most of that is spent saying one thing: Israel has screwed up again. They have given themselves to idolatry. Judgement is coming. But the fascinating fact is that God will remain faithful.

Anyone who knows anything about Israel most likely knows that they were not always obedient. As a result they were led into captivity multiple times, punished during the exodus from Egypt, etc...Yet one thing always remained. God would redeem his people and bring them back from their disobedience. So we get to Hosea and what do you know. The children of Israel, God's chosen people to reveal His Name to the nation, has screwed up again. So what was God's reaction?

He still loved them. Various references are scattered throughout this book about God still loving them but Chapter 11 has to be the most compelling. So knowing they had been disobedient, check this out.

Chapter 11:1-4, 7-11
1. "When Israel was a child, I loved him, And out of Egypt I called My son.
2. As they called them, So they went from them; They sacrificed to the Baals, And burned incense to carved images.
3. "I taught Ephraim to walk, Taking them by their arms; But they did not know that I healed them.
4. I drew them with gentle cords, With bands of love, And I was to them as those who take the yoke from their neck. I stooped and fed them.
7. My people are bent on backsliding from Me. Though they call to the Most High, None at all exalt Him.
8."How can I give you up, Ephraim? how can I hand you over, Israel? How can I make you like Admah? How can I set you like Zeboiim? My heart churns within Me; My sympathy is stirred.
9. I will not execute the fierceness of My anger; I will not again destroy Ephraim. For I am God and not man, The Holy one in your midst; And I will not come with terror.
10. "They shall walk after the Lord. He will roar like a lion. When He roars, Then His sons shall come trembling from the west;
11. They shall come trembling like a bird from Egypt, Like a dove from the land of Assyria. And I will let them dwell in their houses," Says the Lords.

Ok so a little sidebar for a few notes: Israel was also called Ephraim after the largest tribe. Admah and Zeboiim were two cities destroyed along with Sodom and Gomorrah (see Deuteronomy 29:23)

So in this passage, we see the faithfulness of God, faithlessness of Israel, judgement of Israel as a result, and the mercy of God. And then it struck me.

Why would God put up with these people? They constantly screw up. There is always a constant back and forth. They can't ever seem to get their act together. And when they do, they only repeat the cycle. From a human's perspective, there is no reason whatsoever why anyone should put up with a people like that. They were far too messed up for God to accept them.

And then I thought about something. I am the same way. Everyone is the same way. We are all pretty much screwed up people. We choose to disobey God's commands constantly (whether we know that we do it or not). And there is no reason why God should love us. Yet he does. Even the worst of sinners. Even the person who thinks they are too far lost for God to do anything. God loves them too. That is the beauty about redemption. Wretched sinner though I am, God loves me. We are all like Israel. We have each turned to our wicked ways. And eventually we can be deceived into believing we are too far off for help. But the Bible is full of examples of people who were messed up and were offered forgiveness. Experience today shows us people who were really messed up and were offered forgiveness. So why not me, why not you? Listen to this song and tell me it is not true.

Shane and Shane - Embracing Accusation

As we experience Easter tomorrow, let us always keep in mind that while the devil will say to us that we cannot be redeemed and we begin to believe we cannot be saved, the message of the Bible is clear: Jesus saves!

No comments:

Post a Comment